I went ahead with my own idea to stretch it even more. I wanted cool looks and a comfortable riding bike. I wanted my cake and eat it too! Well after 4 years, 150 miles and one crash, proof of concept as been overly tested. It's comfortable and reliable like a tank. Now I need to go beyond the semi-gloss black paint and add some character to this thing.
The main goal is to make it look so rough that you would want a Tetanus shot before riding it but the mechanics of it underneath will be perfect and well balanced. This build will be in 2 parts.
First I want to do a full mechanical tune up to all the components and take care of the overall finish. I would like the bike to be in riding condition before the end of the Fall season. Secondly, since I am getting a bit older, I want to install an electric assist system to it that I have lying around. I'll also be adding a full lighting system and make some other cool doodads.
Keep posted for another instalment of this revival next week. Here's some shots of the bike as it sits right now.
|The bike as it looks right now|
|Custom made tire front fender, might be keeping that.|
|Details of the bolt on Bottom Bracket extension|
|Shifter with knob found on the ground by my Wife in South Portland Maine, go figure! definitely keeping that.|
|Foot operated rear brake because I ran out of brake cable. Keeping it but must improve. Doesn't work that good.|
|Lighting system will be fully redone.|
|Lunch box saddle bag. To be replaced. This is the sole survivor from the original pair. The other one was destroyed in a crash. Never lock up the front wheel when turning. :)|