Monday, April 05, 2010

My first real spring bike ride of 2010

April 3rd of this year was amazingly warm and sunny for Montreal. We usually still have snow waiting to melt away and a snow fall waiting to hit us one last time before Summer. That day was also a holiday for me and my big cruiser was just begging to be taken out for a ride.

This was also my first serious ride since being hit by a car while crossing the street on a green light as a pedestrian. Blind luck and a Ninja move kept broken bones and death at bay. I was in pain for 3 months with my body aching all over.

With a hint of edgy nerves, I strapped on my helmet and pedaled into traffic. Turns out I haven't become paranoid but I am a lot more aware of my surroundings. I wasn't scared either, I felt right at home in Montreal traffic and didn't jump every time a car passed by a bit close.

That was a very good thing since this turned out to be an epic ride on a blissful Spring day. In typical Montreal fashion, all the people come out of their Winter hiding and plunged themselves into the beautiful weather by just hanging out, lye in the Sun or blow bubbles at passing cyclist from their apartment window accompanied by a fantastic smile(no joke, this happened for real). Everyone was happy and it showed. I just kept on riding and ended up doing 30 km. I also stopped in the Mile End district for my favorite Portuguese chicken sandwich, hmmmm good!

On the mechanical side of things I realized that I didn't follow my own advice before leaving. First off I had left the bike in storage without taking the tension out of the derailleur cable. It took at least 15 minutes to up-shift on the next available gear and now the spring has been stretched for so long that I'll have to replace the derailleur. It just won't shift into the last gear anymore.

I also left without checking for proper inflation of my tires. I did the stupid side squeeze (I should know better) of the sidewalls and resistance told me that "Oh yeah that looks like at least 30 pounds, I should be good." Wrong, ended up being lower than 20 pounds. Thankfully the good people of Cyclo Nord-Sud were on my route and helped me out with a killer foot pump to get pressure up to standard.

All and all it was a glorious ride, I came out of it refreshed and energized. If cars and heart ailments don't try to kill me this year, it should be an awesome riding season!

Until next time, ride safe and Godspeed.

Gerry :)


horsebees said...

Hi Gerry!

I just found your blog today, and I've been able to fix many outstanding problems in my old takara thanks to you. Thank you for your advice! I hope your heart is doing well; it would make me quite sad to see such a wonderful fountain of knowledge share no more. Have a good spring!

Gerry Lauzon said...

Why thank you for taking the time to write that great comment. By the way for all of you wondering, my heart is doing fine according to my Doctor and some high tech expensive piece of machinery. I had the privilege of great health care workers and free medical care to get me through this. I am blessed and grateful.

Gerry :)