Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Chopper build progress and new name, "Ebola" or part 3

The bike being stripped down, I cleaned the frame and went over it with sandpaper and steel wool. Not a real proper preparation for the red primer finish but i want the paint to flake in time. See I'll be promoting rust, not prevent it.

Frame painted primer red, not the rustproof kind.

I've also used bailing wire to kinda add strength to my bad bolt-on job on the upper part of the frame and to give more rigidity to the brake brace at the rear. We'll see how that goes.

Redneck re-enforced frame and brake bracket. Will it hold or help?

I came up with a new name, "Ebola". The end goal for the bike is for it to look so bad that no one will dare sit on it because they'll be afraid to catch something. Tetanus having been already used, I needed something else and nastier. Can't beat my choice. The theme of the bike will evolve around the name as well.

Homemade stencil on card stock with my printer using Gimp. I outlined the yellow with a permanent marker.

I've started doing a bit of weathering on the red primer finish and I have the fenders sitting outside in the elements. Progress is slow but I want this to come out looking good and balanced. No rush here, I just want to have something really cool and different.

Hiding the bolt-on with a themed bandage on white hockey tape. I did not use real blood, this is food colouring.

Weathering done with Gray and rust model oil paint using a lot of thinner.

Keep posted for more progress. Sadly, my chaintool is still MIA.  :(

Ride safe and Godspeed.

Gerry  :)

Monday, August 31, 2015

No weld Chopper rebuild part 2

So the bike has been taken apart and inspected. Recent documents that came back to light revealed that the mileage made is actually 300 miles. Taking it apart revealed some good and some bad. Grease and bearings stood up good and removing some tape reminded me that I did a stupid move with the hacksaw when I built this thing. However, everything has held up pretty good.

Make no mistake, I wouldn't sell this bike to anyone as it is at best a slapped together piece of junk. But it rides very smoothly and I love it, which in this case comes second to my health and safety.

Talking about slapped together, the paint was just sprayed on after a very light wipe down using a half dirty rag. Want to know what happens when you don't prep your surface properly? Take a look at the picture and the answer is pretty obvious.

So step one is done. The bike is pieces, I gathered some parts, found my tools, well most of them, have a design in mind and the weather is nice, because I'm outdoors you know so that is important. Next will be painting primer red so that I can start building on a , temporarily, clean canvas.

Taking it apart

Grease and bearings fared well.

Oups! A case of measure, cut once...measure again, cut twice.
Paint chips all over the frame shows the very low degree of surface prep. The new paint job won't be much better.  :)

My chaintool is still missing in action.
Some of the parts I'll be using, or not.

Definitely going for a full wrap rear fender.

Until next time, ride safe and Godspeed.

Gerry  :)

Monday, August 24, 2015

New/Old project a Bike Revival

Yesterday I took a stretched chopper I slapped together 4 years ago and fell in love with it all over again. I built it out of 2 frames I had lying around, a Schwinn cruiser and a mixte frame. I stole the idea from a friend who did this design by bringing 2 frames together at the bottom bracket.

I went ahead with my own idea to stretch it even more. I wanted cool looks and a comfortable riding bike. I wanted my cake and eat it too! Well after 4 years, 150 miles and one crash, proof of concept as been overly tested. It's comfortable and reliable like a tank. Now I need to go beyond the semi-gloss black paint and add some character to this thing.

The main goal is to make it look so rough that you would want a Tetanus shot before riding it but the mechanics of it underneath will be perfect and well balanced. This build will be in 2 parts.

First I want to do a full mechanical tune up to all the components and take care of the overall finish. I would like the bike to be in riding condition before the end of the Fall season. Secondly, since I am getting a bit older, I want to install an electric assist system to it that I have lying around. I'll also be adding a full lighting system and make some other cool doodads.

Keep posted for another instalment of this revival next week. Here's some shots of the bike as it sits right now.

The bike as it looks right now
Custom made tire front fender, might be keeping that.

Details of the bolt on Bottom Bracket extension

Shifter with knob found on the ground by my Wife in South Portland Maine, go figure! definitely keeping that.

Foot operated rear brake because I ran out of brake cable. Keeping it but must improve. Doesn't work that good.

Lighting system will be fully redone.

Lunch box saddle bag. To be replaced. This is the sole survivor from the original pair. The other one was destroyed in a crash. Never lock up the front wheel when turning.  :)

Until next time, ride safe and Godspeed.

Gerry  :)